Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Reverse Psychology?

Chris and I have been arguing with Rebecca about working with the steers she is supposed to be taking to the fair. She isn't working with them enough to satisfy us. Granted, I have been working most every day, but I have not witnessed any sessions. Not so, anymore! I got really mad tonight and decided I was going to walk her junior steer. Chris said I shouldn't- the first rule of 4H is that parents don't do the work, only help. I got him into the barn using the bucket Rebecca feeds him milk in. I was able to get a gloved hand on his halter, but I couldn't get over the fence without letting go. Hmm. Now I have ahold of this steer through the fence and he is pulling backwards. With amazing timing Rebecca shows up to see what I am doing. I told her I was going to walk him but I didn't get myself positioned correctly. In a huff, she says she will get her boots and do it. Wink, wink. Next thing I know she is in the pasture with the steer fighting her, but he wasn't putting much muscle into it. He was just testing her while she talked to him and kept leading him around. After about 10 minutes he wasn't going to his knees anymore and she could actually give the halter a little slack. So after lots of praise for both of them, hopefully she will start working him several times a day. Tomorrow I have to get my hand on her older steer and see how long it takes her to come running!

2 comments: